When I start the program on my Mac, the menu bar and the dock vanish. How I can I prevent this?
Upon program start, the menu bar and the dock are hidden, to avoid the waste of space when running the game in full screen mode. However, they reappear whenever you move your mouse pointer to the upper or lower edge of your screen.
If you prefer the window mode so as to use other applications at the same time, it might be more convenient if menu bar and dock would remain visible at all times.
To achieve this, you need to modify one file of the PlayCatan Access Software. Please proceed as follows:
- Look for your “PlayCatan” application icon in the Finder. Usually you will find it in your user directory inside “Applications” / “Catan.”
- Right-click on the application icon and select “Show package contents.”
- In the new window, please open the “Contents” folder.
- In this folder, you will see various files and folders, among them three files named “Info.plist,” “Info_1_5.plist,” and “Info_1_5.plist.”
- Please right-click on the “Info.plist” file and select “Show Original.” Depending on the operating system you are using, the “Info_1_5.plist” or “Info_1_5.plist” file will become highlighted. Please proceed using the file you have identified in this manner.
(Rule of thumb: If you are using Mac OS X 10.4 “Tiger,” the “Info_1_5.plist” file will become highlighted. If you are using OS X 10.7 “Lion,” it will be the “Info_1_6.plist” file. If you are using OS X 10.5 “Leopard” or OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard,” either of them can become highlighted, depending on your Mac's main processor.)
- Right-click on the identified “Info_1_5.plist” or “Info_1_6.plist” file and select "Open with" / "Textedit." If TextEdit is not available for selection, please select “Other ...”; then select “TextEdit” from the list.
- Once you have opened the file in TextEdit, press Cmd-F to open the "Find" window. Please search for "LSUIPresentationMode."
- The next line after "LSUIPresentationMode" should read
- Replace the "4" with a "0". Afterwards, the two lines should read
- Please save the file, close TextEdit, and also close the package contents window.
- Restart your PlayCatan Access Software. From now on, the menu bar and the dock should no longer be hidden when you start the program, i.e., they should remain visible while the game is running in the foreground.